[Blackpool] Fwd: [RossLUG] XBMC Eden

Jonathan Archer jon at rosslug.org.uk
Tue Mar 27 11:03:18 UTC 2012

Cheers Les,

Not sure if your MythTV Gurus are interested but I left Myth behind a
few years ago in favour of XBMC as a front end. I found I was using Myth
mainly for a front end for viewing rather than as a backend for
recording and found it a little cumbersome (i.e. switching channels
taking an age etc). I'm sure its been improved.

For a while I still left Mythbackend in place for DVB connectivity and
recording, but swiftly moved to a product called TVHeadend
https://www.lonelycoder.com/tvheadend/ or
https://github.com/opdenkamp/tvheadend

Which is a really lightweight PVR backend has most of the features you
want of a PVR. One of the most useful features I find is that it will
record multiple items from a single multiplex using only 1 tuner. (not
sure if Myth does that these days).

I'm currently using Lars Opdenkamps fork of xbmc (which is rarely behind
upstream) which contains the PVR features needed to connect into a
multiple backend PVRs (these features will be included in xbmc 12
apparently).
https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc
I compile from source, but there are deb packages available

Using the amazing front end and lightweight backend I find it a really
slick setup.

Jon