[Blackpool] New PC build - it works!

Arthur Garlick arthur_garlick at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 10 13:17:45 UTC 2015

Hi,
So I got the new main PC I mentioned on Saturday.  I hadn't built a PC for over 10 years, wow the kit is so much nicer to work with nowadays.

In my recent spirit of trying new things that in the past I'd discounted ('discounted' is putting it mildly), I water cooled it, I fretted over how that would go but it was very easy.  I went with a Corsair H105, it's a sealed setup and very much a good beginners (or raving sceptics even) entry point into water cooling.

There was a bit of a learning curve with all the new fangled lingo, I think the hardware guys have been busy making new words up for marketing purposes.

6 cores i7 Haswell E, 16Gb DDR4 memory, 1Tb SSD, AMD Firepro 7100, Dual 28" 4K monitors.  Not a bad spec for writing code in Turbo Pascal - it's pretty quick.  Having two 4K 28" monitors 2' from your face feels like you're getting a suntan as part of the deal too.

I haven't played games on it yet, the monitors are lower end gaming ones and although the AMD graphics card is more workstation than full on gaming I should be able to run Elite Dangerous comfortably in 4K and 60Hz.