[Blackpool] (no subject)

James Page jmsp.1983 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 16:02:25 UTC 2015

Well, I think I might have borked my Dell laptop! I'm hopeful it might be a
fairly simple repair, but my run of luck usually errs towards catastrophe.

I finally got round to replacing its lid, palmrest/trackpad and thermal
paste today - the bits I was going to do a few weeks ago. I followed some
of the video guides on disassembly and it mostly seemed to go okay. A few
extra screws were left over, but the problem seems to be that during
disassembly, the power switch's cables frayed. Apparently, this is a common
issue with the Dell Studio range - the lid hinges loosen and cause the
power button cables to wear. It's just my particular luck that the cable
seems to have frayed whilst I was attempting to get the laptop into decent,
working condition. It looks like the next project will be to disassemble it
again and install a new power button (£1.92 from Aliexpress). I really hope
it's the only issue to occur as a result of my DIY attempt!

Best wishes,
James