[Bradford] Project proposal for Braford LUG

Bernard Czenkusz bernie at skipole.co.uk
Fri Oct 2 13:28:30 UTC 2009

Hi everyone.

I sometimes get a casual interest from people regarding Linux, that
never goes anywhere.  It's a problem that Linux PC's cannot be easily
bought off the shelf.

So I'm wondering - would it be worth the LUG taking on a project to create:

1 A reference design for a modest desktop PC.  By reference design I'm
thinking of a CPU, motherboard, hard drive, case etc., made from current
components easily available.

2 Build one - so the lug could loan it out to people who express an interest.

3 Publish a document "The Bradford Lug standard PC MkI"

4 Perhaps offer such units for sale,
  - profits to go to the lug and pay for the tea and biscuits.

Is such a project feasible, and of interest? Or not? Any opinions?

 Cheers

    Bernie