[Bradford] Response to NonMS schools petition

Alan D Barnard alanbarnard at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 22:06:05 UTC 2009

David Carpenter wrote:
> The response to the NonMS schools petition:
> http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/nonMSschools/
>
> Has been published:
>
> http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20711
>
> Interesting, Becta doesn't come across badly in my opinion. The link
> from the response - while kind of not 100% on the mark makes interesting
> reading:
> http://news.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=35287&CFID=3039363&CFTOKEN=a137e9f25b9bd7a6-039B1B27-E009-1FF0-287783710978C9D8
>
> What's quite clear is that they'd like to see the adoption of open
> document formats in schools. - AND there is a requirement to educate
> parents about free-to-use alternatives.
>
> Food for thought, fuel for action?
>
> Cheers
> David

I have seen the drift from Seymour Papert's 'Mindstorms' to the
Microsoft's 'ICT Suite'. Unfortunately this petition does nothing to
help. It is factually wrong, vague, and ungrammatical. Not surprisingly
it gets a cursory dismissal.

The link to BECTA in the reply is to a now rather dated report but it
certainly shows BECTA in one of its anti-Microsoft moods.

They could also have provided a link to: opensourceschools.org.uk which
is supported by BECTA.

regards everyone

Alan