[Bradford] More (old) hardware...

Alice Kaerast kaerast at qvox.org
Wed Jan 6 13:13:27 UTC 2010

I don't know about the iMac, but the Compaq Armadas have P3 processors
which are generally not too power hungry - some Australians were
looking for P3 servers last year because they use so much less power
than a P4.  You'd probably want to check that out though.

The Compaqs would make nice Tor Bridges if you've got the bandwidth,
and good exit points if you've got the ability to host them somewhere
sensible.  If you add a little memory you could maybe add a useful
hidden service.

They'd all make good machines for fiddling/learning with, I'm thinking
particularly learning how to setup mail servers - I learnt the
intricacies of SMTP and Postfix by networking two 486 desktops back in
the day.

Leave them on display for if you get burgled - dumb thieves took my 386
laptop whilst leaving my shiny new desktop a couple of years ago
because the laptop was the first thing they saw.

Or failing all else, take them all apart and build jewellery/modern art
from the pieces.

Alice
--
PS: Follow @kaerast on Twitter