[Bradford] More (old) hardware...

Alice Kaerast kaerast at qvox.org
Wed Jan 6 14:38:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:06:08 +0000
David Carpenter <david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk> wrote:

> I've heard of Tor,
> and have an idea of what it is, but don't use it. Is Tor a possible
> topic for one of the LUG meetings? (with a practical demo of how to
> set up a Tor Bridge..(ahem!))

In February I can give a demo of Tor, including setting up bridges and
exit points.  And I can include some stuff on I2P, DN42 and darknets in
general if people are interested - or can veer off in the direction of
privacy, encryption and data ownership (PGP signing party?)  We'd
definitely need an internet connection to show things working though.

For February I was also considering giving a brief demo of CouchDB,
covering what it is, what it's good for and an application I recently
developed using it.  Again, it depends on interest though.

> > Leave them on display for if you get burgled - dumb thieves took my
> > 386 laptop whilst leaving my shiny new desktop a couple of years ago
> > because the laptop was the first thing they saw.
>
> I like that idea - perhaps I could configure it to do something scary
> when it's turned on as well - any suggestions? (I'm sure I read
> somewhere of someone being able to get their stolen laptop to take a
> photo of the person using it with the inbuilt webcam - or was that a
> dream (and no webcam in the E500))

There have been quite a few instances of stolen laptops, PS3s and
mobiles taking the thief's picture.  And there exists a few different
technologies to aid in the recovery of stolen laptops.

--
PS: Follow @kaerast on Twitter