[Bradford] remote desktop X11 access

Alice Kaerast kaerast at qvox.org
Sun Mar 14 16:13:19 UTC 2010

>> so any other ideas or tips would be fantastic
>
> ssh -l <username> -Y <host>

This is a nice way of doing it locally because it means it's encrypted
over ssh and doesn't need much setting up (you might need to enable the
relevant option in the sshd config if it's not already allowed).

There's also freenx, which last time I set up was relatively difficult to
get going (though it's been a while).  The benefits of this is that you
can get Windows clients, it gives a nice userfriendly full-screen remote
desktop session and uses less bandwidth than X over ssh or just plain
xdmp.

Finally, for completeness, Virtualbox lets you use rdp to connect to a
running virtual machine - meaning you can have a separate virtual machine
for the laptop if you so desire.  I always found it a little awkward to
configure, but never bothered learning it properly since my virtual
machines are usually Windows XP+ which have remote desktop by default.

--
Alice Kærast