[Bradford] Python workshop

Bernard Czenkusz bernie at skipole.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 14:57:44 UTC 2010

Hi guys - I had a meet at the Old Broadcasting House last night,
regarding the proposed Python workshop, which was very interesting.

First - it will definitely happen, it will be a full Saturday. Currently
aiming for end of November/beginning of December. The firm date is not
finalised yet.

We will even have PC's available (Macs) - though anyone coming will be
able to bring their own laptops if they prefer. And it looks like food
will be laid on (a mid-day buffet).

There will be two streams - a 'Beginners' stream, and a 'Programmers'
stream, the Programmers stream being for those who are already familiar
with other languages and therefore want to move forward fast.  There
will be a Django session in there. (This being included due to your
feedback on Wednesday).

The Beginners stream will be easier going - but it will obviously still
help if you have some previous, perhaps hobbyists, programming
experience.

To get these resources for free, a member of the YPy group did some
persuading - and we have to hit a few quality criteria; there has to be
six hours of work - so it will be a fairly intensive full day, and to
ensure enough space and resources we need a registration system.

As soon as we get registration up and going, I'll let you know.  If you
intend to come, register quickly, otherwise once we market this it may
fill up.  I think we're aiming for around twenty people, hopefully ten
in each stream - so registration may involve a questionnaire on
'previous experience in programming' - 'are you bringing a laptop' - 'If
so, what OS, and editor' and stuff - all needed for practical reasons.

Towards the end of the day we intend to reserve an hour for a series of
'lightning' talks - 5 minute (or maybe 10 minute) talks covering
different aspects or uses of Python, so users will get a broader picture
rather than just the tutorials.  If you can give such a talk - consider
coming to the next YPy meet, see http://ypy.org.uk/

We also need contributors who are not necessarily giving talks, but
available to help others with the hands on work. So if you feel like
contributing, and you have Python skills, come to YPy.

I think this is going to be pretty good - and considering the dearth of
'technical' events, it's not to be missed.

Cheers

  Bernie