[Bradford] Ubuntu released on Sunday

Thomas Mangin thomas.mangin at exa-networks.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 11:27:15 UTC 2010

> I also believe that Dick has been playing with Btrfs - which is included [ but beta quality - not recommended for production use], which is a next gen file system which looks like they have taken the best features from XFS, EXT4, ZFS and Reiser - significance being that in 6 to 12 months time we could see a widely adopted non-EXT filesystem as default for the first time ever (for those that don't know ext4 was always a stop gap with the intention of fixing issues with ext3 that were becoming more significant and also to provide an upgrade path to btrfs).

It will take much longer for it to be widely deployed. I would more think that it will need 3/4 years before it sees mission critical use. For sure, it will be "widely" tested as soon as some desktop distro set it as default FS on install, but on the server side it will take much longer and linux is still primarily a server OS. I have been waiting for snapshoting, copy on write and other of its features for years, but today I would prefer to run FreeBSD with ZFS than BTRFS.

Thomas