[Bradford] URGENT Linux Server Help Needed - Farlsley, Leeds

Jonathan Pow | Ross Parry Agency jonathan_pow at rossparry.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 08:52:45 UTC 2010

Hello All,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Richard Bruce came round yesterday to have a look. Although not fixed at the
time, he ran a memory test and established that Linux was not at fault and
in fact the server had some sort of hardware error (probably the motherboard
itself, as all RAM sticks tested were coming up with errors).

Fortunately I have a similar Pentium 4 box (for compatibility with the old
version of SUSE) at home and last night transplanted the SCSI hard drive
(thanks for the suggestion Alice). Fortunately, with minimal configuration I
set it up with my home network.

All being well it seems to be running now, but the whole episode has scared
me somewhat, especially given that when the box was installed (6 or 7 years
ago), no Lotus Domino disks were provided.

My next plan is to mirror the hard drive to a newer PATA drive, to a) keep a
full working copy of the system (instead of just the database) and b) make
the old SCSI drive redundant as it's getting on a bit.

Once we know we're stable I'll need to work on bringing the system up to
modern standards (for ease of fixing, without having to source vintage
parts!). My plan is to install an up to date distribution of Linux with the
old Lotus Domino software (will have to phone Lotus for that). Then (if the
old Lotus Domino works on a newer distribution) it'll be easier to source
parts if the unforeseeable happens, plus allow a bit more room to grow with
our system

All in all it works, but I will be needing more help in the future.

Kind regards,

Jonathan