[Bradford] Ordnance survey get-a-map and silverlight

Bernard Czenkusz bernie at skipole.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 13:14:42 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I was recently dismayed when connecting to Ordnance survey get-a-map to
find it required the Silverlight plug in.  I sent an email to them, and
have just received the following reply:  You  may find it interesting.

  Cheers,

     Bernie

-----------------

>From CustomerServices at ordnancesurvey.co.uk

Dear Mr Czenkusz,

Thank you for your email.

As you may know many websites use plug-ins from various companies to
provide a richer web experience. There are many such plug-ins available,
for instance Flash (from Adobe) or indeed Silverlight (from Microsoft).
However as with any program it is always unlikely that the plug-ins will
be compatible with every variation of computer, operating system or
browser.

Silverlight works on various Windows operating systems including Windows
XP, Vista and 7 as well as Mac's (OS X 10.4.11+) and most popular
browsers. Microsoft's requirements for Silverlight can be seen on the
link below on the system requirements tab -

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

Ordnance Survey chose to use Silverlight as it provides a unique user
experience on the web and, importantly, has a deep zoom feature which
allows customers to keep zooming in on the map without distorting it.
Our research shows that around 80% of visitors to the site already have
Silverlight installed and, of those who do not, nearly all can
successfully install it.

I am sorry if you are unable to access the new getamap service;
unfortunately in providing a rich web experience such choices do
sometimes have to be made. However we are continuing to develop getamap
and it may become possible to make it available for more operating
systems or browsers in the future.

Lastly, you may be interested to learn that the old Get-a-map service is
still available from the link below:

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm

I trust you will find this helpful.

Regards

Mrs Janet Keep

Customer Service Advisor

Customer Services, Ordnance Survey

Adanac Drive, SOUTHAMPTON, United Kingdom, SO16 0AS

Phone: +44 (0)8456 050505  | Fax: +44 (0)8450 990494

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ | customerservices at ordnancesurvey.co.uk

email.