No subject

Tue Feb 22 18:54:42 UTC 2011

"Alpha.gov.uk <http://alpha.gov.uk/>is a prototype, built in response to
some of the challenges laid down in Martha=92s report. It has two overarchi=
ng
objectives:

   1. To test, in public, a prototype of a new, single UK Government
   website.
   2. To design & build a UK Government website using open, agile,
   multi-disciplinary product development techniques and technologies, shap=
ed
   by an obsession with meeting user needs."

There was a specific objective to use open-stuff :)

This is a tech demo, so who knows chances of the site becoming a reality.

On a side note, one thing that I have not seen is any mention of creating a
community around these open technologies developed, as having a healthy
community IMHO is key to getting good value (this applies to closed and ope=
source on-going products/projects).

Cheers, Nick

On 12 May 2011 11:04, Alice K=E6rast <kaerast at computergentle.com> wrote:

> It's a great site, but it just happens to run on Open Source, I doubt it
> was a choice made by the government. It'll be the developers that picked =
the
> tools used.
>
> The mix of Python and Ruby strikes me as a litle unusual, I'd imagine the
> Django framework was used for the nice admin interface and/or the subsite=
> were developed by different people.
>
> The site itself was developed incredibly quickly, or at least it wasn't
> rumored about til quite late in development. I wonder whether it will bec=
ome
> the main government website or will become a huge waste of money for a fu=
> tech demo...
>
> Alice

--20cf300514925dee6f04a311ab2b