[Bradford] Apache += OOo (maybe)

Robert Burrell Donkin robertburrelldonkin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 11:34:07 UTC 2011

As many of you might be aware, it looks like OOo will be coming to Apache [1]

Apache is an non-profit foundation [2] with a permissive license [3]
and an open development philosophy [4]. (For the moment, there isn't a
clear home for GPL-only lads and lasses [7] but hopefully we'll see
one soon.)

At this phase of the incubation process) anyone who wants to
contribute can introduce themselves on list [5] and sign up [6]. Quick
and easy if you act now :-)

IMHO a complete ecosystem will needed with spaces for all manner of
contributions and contributors one day spread amongst many different
communities but it starts sometime soon over at Apache. I'd be very
happy to mentor anyone at BradLUG who wants to contribute in any way.

Everyone welcome and always open :-)

Robert

[1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/01/oracle_openoffice_apache/
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/
[3] http://www.apache.org/licenses/
[4] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
[5] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/
[6] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal
[7] LibreOffice is currently LGPL which allows contributions to be
included in proprietary software