[Bradford] BBC's plan to encrypt HD content management

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Mon Jun 27 19:37:35 UTC 2011

The BBC plan to introduce encryption in regard to their HD channels. It  will
mean that existing Linux boxes  won't function anymore and that, of  course,
will include MythTV *(see below).

More information:-

From which comes:-
"Critics of the BBC's request say that open source licenses are  incompatible
with the regulations because DRM locks down software so  that it cannot be
altered by the user. "

Ofcom:-
http://tinyurl.com/66umlcx

There is a PDF on that page and in it is an email address which can be used to
respond to the BBC's plans via Ofcom.

Put simply, as I understand it, the BBC can't encrypt the video but can encrypt
the EPG etc.

*If  this is all they intend to do then, as far as MythTV is concerned, it
won't be much of a problem as, presumably, listings can be obtained from  the
Net. I have written 'grabbers' for channels which aren't in the the  standard
EPG so the BBC should not prove any more difficult. However,  with standard
Linux set-top boxes this may prove a problem.