[Bradford] BBC's plan to encrypt HD content management

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Tue Jun 28 11:20:41 UTC 2011

So, Steve, if understand you correctly, the frequency data would not be
available when a scan takes place?

Presumably, however, it would be possible to add such information manually the
the database in, for example, MythTV. I am doing this now because BBC HD has
changed some information such as 'symbol rate' etc. Now I have to do the rest by
hand or rescan.
One thing I am happy about though is, for the first time, I have been able tot
get HD working properly on all the HD channels - bar the BBC which I haven't
been able to try yet. I am dreading the introduction of Wayland to Ubuntu which
will probably muck everything up.

The EPG is not so important to MythTV because the data can be gleaned from
elsewhere, so that is not any real problem for MythTV. I don't publish my
grabber programs because I suspect that certain websites would be deluged with
downloads, for EPG purposes, and those same web sites might  block or obfuscate
downloads. Having said that the only one I use to any extent is one for 'Travel'
which uses their web site so they might not object.

Brian