[Bradford] Fedora 15

Alice Kaerast kaerast at computergentle.com
Tue May 24 15:21:16 UTC 2011

The new virtualisation features (BoxGrinder and Spice integration)
look nice and might be useful for some projects we're working on at
the moment.  Libre Office and Firefox 4 is good, but many of us have
already added them to Fedora 14 from external repos (and/or are using
Chrome).

The big feature in Fedora 15 is Gnome 3 which is pretty horrible, and
isn't something I could deploy to customer machines.  It may turn out
that non-geek users prefer it, but the user interface is a massive
change from 2.x versions and will take some getting used to and/or
configuring.  For example there's no minimise or maximise options, the
start menu takes up the entire screen, secondary monitors aren't part
of a workspace by default, start menu appears just by hovering the
mouse in the top left of the screen, start menu doesn't actually list
any software until you then click on the (non-obvious) Applications
link.

I'll obviously be upgrading my laptop soon, but may well be switching
to XFCE rather than use Gnome 3.

I'm more interested in the next version of Centos, but I don't expect
that to come any time soon.

Alice