[Bradford] Git Version Control

John McLear john at mclear.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 20:12:08 UTC 2012

I'm back from Jersey on Sunday so ping me then

Alice Kaerast <alice at kaerast.info> wrote:

On 7 August 2012 14:48, John McLear <john at mclear.co.uk> wrote:
> I prolly could maybe with the help of you and or Tom Hudson

I could definitely put in some time in putting together a presentation
on server-side stuff, including gitolite setup, serverside hooks and
github.  I've also gotten myself into enough trouble that I can assist
with a practical session, which might be a good way of doing this.

On 7 August 2012 14:21, David Carpenter <david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm a git user, but not sure I'd even consider myself good at the
> basics.

I don't know what level a talk we should be aiming at, but I guess
starting with the very basics would be good - including what version
control is and why it is good.

> Is 'version control' perhaps a topic that a few people could provide
> input to, and then others could do 5 mins on their version controler(?)
> of choice? I've had some experience of SVN, bazaar and git.

Other than not wanting to change, I still don't see why people use
SVN.  Perhaps you could enlighten us?  Bazaar is also something I've
never really used much, especially now github and lots of other
services talk git.

> Also it seems to me that it's the software to help you manage your
> version control needs that is also quite important.

I'd argue the most important part is coming up with a sensible
strategy of branching, but then I really struggle in showing people
how to do git or svn with their shiny git guis.

> I would be quite happy to show people how I use git locally, on a server
> and in combination with github to manage a small software project.

I suspect a practical session on git would go down well for the people
just getting started with it.  I wonder if David S would be open to
putting his presentation on commandline tools into a git repository
for us to fork and push changes to?

Regards
Alice

--
Mx Alice Kaerast
Devops supergirl, agile coach, corporate sysadmin, optimisationeer