[Bradford] opentechcalendar.co.uk

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Mon Aug 20 19:13:48 UTC 2012

Well, I have to agree with you but it does no harm to have a tiny bit of publicity. The site is really biassed to Scotland anyway.
Ogg Camp:-

There was an interesting lecture by the Director of the 'Open Rights Group' re the Government's Communications Bill. The salient points made were that: It really didn't matter that the data gathered did not include the body of an email message because everything you post, everywhere, will be gathered and, with triangulation, the authorities can find out all they want about the activities of an individual or group. Further, as it stands (in the Bill), the Secretary of State can decide, without any recourse to anyone or any body, that they want to snoop or take action. He suggested that a 'black box' will likely be given to ISPs and they will have to route traffic through it. Already, as I am sure most people are aware, the terrorism laws have been widely misused. What the new bill will do is effectively make legal what probably takes place anyway but, when an investigative reporter finds out what is going on, they can say it is perfectly legal. To be
 honest I find the whole thing deeply disturbing. The last Government tried to bring in a similar bill. I am assuming that the secret Police and other lobbyists are pushing for this and the ignorant Politicians are doing as they are bid. The Politicians are supposed to represent our interests but they don't. I suspect, also, that, us being the 51st state of America, the CIA will also have a hand in this. This is turning into a blog so I will end there!

I went to a talk on running groups. I can't say that I learned a great deal as I have run groups before but it consolidated a few things. He did say that some businesses, who wanted to recruit, were happy to provide some funding to local groups where they perceived  it could be a source for them.

There were stalls there from ScaperWiki, Hacker Public Radio, O'Reilly Books & Open Rights Group - amongst others.

Brian