[Bradford] Update on those tablets

David Carpenter david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 12:14:26 UTC 2012

Thought you might like to have an update on those tablets we provided
a bit of advice about for a gallery in London:

"So, my slighter more IT literate colleague sorted this out when I was
on holiday. And now he is on holiday so I can't ask him exactly what
he did but, from the brief chats we had and from using the new
fun-free tablets, it seems that he installed:

- Opera as a browser
- Some kind of 'kiosk' limiting function blacking access to the
homescreen, other apps etc - unless Opera enables you to do this.
- A media player (maybe JW Player? I know he is fond of this one) that
gives you a list of tracks, with little thumb nail image for each one,
and a larger image with text when you select a track. This all happens
on one split screen so it's easy to tell what's going on.

There are still some exposed buttons that may allow people to get up
to mischief, but this is being addressed in a more luddite fashion by
the wooden display case being designed to cover them up...

Thanks to the group for their advice! It helped us along greatly - the
general encouragement to take the website route, and the kiosk mode
bit was a eureka moment.

After this exhibition (which starts on 11th Sept and runs till March)
we're keen to flash these tablets and upgrade them with better ROM
etc. Apparently they have test versions of the Android OS on them so
we aren't eligible for updates anyway. They were only £150 each so I
guess you pays your money.."