[Bradford] Fedora users ?

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Wed Dec 12 12:11:39 UTC 2012

I have had to use Fedora sometimes for software that has been developed to run on it. Personally I don't like RHEL based distros. I certainly wouldn't use one for a new user. OK, I think that they use GNOME 3 now as their desktop standard but it is, IMHO, a distro that should be used by someone who can maintain it. It is much harder to install software on Fedora than with Ubuntu for example. I would go for an Ubuntu based desktop. Which you choose depends on the previous experience of the person, in respect of OS, and what they want the computer to be used for. If you  want to install a distro with a desktop that looks like XP etc. than you could try Zorin OS. That has a look-changer application that can easily change the look of the Desktop. If the hardware is low powered then I'd go for Lubuntu, or slightly better hardware Xubuntu. Ubuntu is OK but you have to get used to the Unity desktop. This means a common menu on the top panel. I have found that
 people with little computer experience work better with a Mac-like doc at the bottom of the screen - e.g. Docky, 'GNOME Do' etc. I use Ubuntu with the GNOME 3 desktop and Docky. Another option would be Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. From experience I would recommend Mint with Cinnamon rather than Ubuntu with Cinnamon installed. Cinnamon is too Windows-like for me but it seems to be popular with some from the GNOME 2 camp. I can expand on any of the above if you so wish.

Brian