[Bradford] UK Government Moves To Legislate Against Free Software

Robert Burrell Donkin robertburrelldonkin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 17:11:19 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Brian <bradlug at techchico.org.uk> wrote:
> So, what can be done about this? Personally I feel that I'd like to write to
> someone about it. Has anyone set up a campaign?

Unless you have a few million quid to spare (enough to buy the civil
servants you need on side), it's too early to campaign

> I do write programs but they
> are usually to drive a web site, for personal use, rather than desktop
> applications. I don't feel that I have a sufficient grasp of the facts and
> implications that someone who works in the field, or is a developer of FOSS
> would have.

No one outside will know what it'll mean until the law is published
but by them (if DEB is any guide) it'll be too late (since ministers
will be politically committed).

But it is legitimate to ask your MP now to inquire on your behalf:
"How will these copyright reforms effect me?"

For example, as a Linux user could you be forced to make payments to a
collective rights organisation (even though you have public licenses
for software you use)?

Robert