[Bradford] Update to the website

Paul C pchcolley at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 12:22:10 UTC 2012

With regard to the almost run-on articles in Feb issue of Briefing Bradford I have to hold my hands up there. Am up to neck in sorting out family crisis at the mo, shuttling between Notts and Bfd. Did well just to get that issue published, not my finest hour (although 6k downloads and a few folks have commented on BOTH A and B's listings with thanks for the useful recommendations).

Cheers

Paul Colley
Editor, Briefing Bradford

>________________________________

 Winamp
>and iTunes.
>
>For the sake of discussion, the computer running the server will be
>called the remote machine.
>
>First install and start the Logitech Media Server software on this
>machine. Make sure it is reachable over the Internet. If not, you will
>need to open port 9000 on your router.
>
>Now, use the following instructions:
>
>     1. Open the stream called http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3 in your
>        MP3 software player. (Replace "localhost" with the IP address of
>        the remote computer.) This will inform the server that the
>        software player is ready to receive a stream.
>     2. Open the web interface of the server running on the remote
>        computer by opening the web page http://localhost:9000 (Replace
>        "localhost" with the IP address of the remote computer). You
>        will notice a "player" corresponding to the IP address of the
>        computer with the MP3 software player.
>     3. Use the left pane of the server web interface to browse and
>        select files and playlists. When music is selected, it will
>        appear in the right pane of the web interface.
>     4. Click on "Play" in the right pane of the server web interface to
>        start the music.
>     5. After a couple of seconds, you will hear music playing through
>        the MP3 software player. (The delay is due to buffering in the
>        MP3 player software.)
>     6. To change the content
 playing, use the server on the remote
>        machine.
>     7. If you are using the server's password security, you'll need to
>        use a slightly modified URL like this:
>        http://username:password@localhost:9000/stream.mp3
>
>Your music can also be streamed to a Squeezebox or Transporter network
>music player for listening on a stereo. For more information about this
>product and FAQs, visit www.mysqueezebox.com.
>
>If you have a question or problem, please visit
>www.mysqueezebox.com/support or visit our user forums at
>http://forums.slimdevices.com/
>

>The problem I had was the stream seems to just download and play, so you
>can't interrupt it and move tracks around. This is the reason
 the
>developer of SoftSqueeze gives for writing SoftSqueeze.
>
>> I think I can play ogg podcasts on my tablet. Currently I'm using
>> 'BeyondPod' to automatically record podcasts down to the tablet. So
>> far it seems to be working well. It works just how I wanted. Podcasts
>> appear in one list when downloaded with the most recent at the top.
>> The other good thing about 'BeyondPod' is that it remembers where you
>> left off listening to a podcast even if you stop a podcast and listen
>> to another inbetween.
>>

>The tablet will play ogg files directly, but UPNPlay didn't work if I
>requested an ogg, but it did with MP3. I think the tablet OS might be
>2.1 or 2.2 so that may effect it.
>

>> The upnp Android app I used was Bubble upnp.
>>

>Yup had a play with that.
>
>> I'd like to play flac on my tablet but it won't play. I thin the
 best
>> way to go is probably reflashing and 'rooting' the tablet.
>> Looks like your best option is remote control your remote laptop with
>> your tablet. I tried remote controlling a soft Squeezebox on my
>> server. The server was connected to what I call my audio bus ( a set
>> of stereo cables that go round the house). The problem was that I got
>> lots of computer noise. I know that this did not occur when I
>> connected an amplifier up via a short lead so I have to investigate
>> that. I think a small choke in the audio lead will stop the audio bus
>> acting as an aerial for the server audio.
>

>Yeah that could be an option. Funnily enough I reckon the raspberry pi
>might be the answer. I set up an old laptop, but it's quite ugly, takes
>ages to boot up, a bit noisy to sun SoftSqueeze, and plug into the
>stereo. By the time you've got this all set up, you might as well have
>put a CD on!
 (or a record - of which we have plenty). With the added
>overhead of having your media centre running all the time as well, I'm
>not sure this is for me, or more importantly for Linda who then relies
>on me for the technical support!
>
>Good stuff.
>

>> We got 2 articles in Briefing Bradford - I submitted one as well.
>
>Yes. Didn't I do something with your piece before? Did I publish it and
>then we unpublished it from the website? I have an article on TomBoy
>sitting there unpublished. Should I make that live?
>
>Cheers
>David
>

>> Brian

 think putting a record on might be simpler, and more satisfying!