[Bradford] UEFI and other Microsoft nasties

David Carpenter david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk
Tue Apr 2 14:48:21 UTC 2013

When John and I were wrestling with his laptop (compaq I think) it was
possible to turn secure boot off in the bios. At that stage I believe
it would then be possible to boot from a linux CD.

We tried to dual boot, keeping  Windows on the machine. We used linux
secure remix, http://sourceforge.net/p/linux-secure/wiki/Home/ to do
this. It did work, but wasn't easy, and John has to hold down F9 and
choose a boot option to get Linux.

I'm sure you would be able to find a machine with no operating system
on. Maybe that's an option.

My last two laptops have come via http://www.novatech.co.uk, without
an OS, and (I think) pretty good linux compatible hardware - (but I'm
no expert on this -I do have NVIDIA GFORCE video card, which I think
might be a bit of a problem if you wanted e.g. an entirely free OS to
work)

Richard Bruce supplied them - he's a font of much knowledge!