[Bradford] Proposal for W3C to weave DRM into html5

John R. Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Wed Apr 17 08:03:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-16 at 22:43 +0100, Brian A wrote:
> Proposal for W3C to weave DRM into html5 - is my interpretation of
> this article which you may find of interest.
>

> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/03/defend-open-web-keep-drm-out-w3c-standards

This is not new. The W3C includes MS whereas the HTML standards are
developed by WHATWG; there are always slight differences between what
WHATWG puts forward and what is agreed by W3C.

Browser developers can decide which elements to support. Expect this to
run and run but my guess is that, as there are APIs not supported by
W3C, there could be a DRM enabling API supported by W3C.

Also, as with things like the DVD regions, expect one or more hackers to
publish a hack to get round anything the W3C puts forward.