[Bradford] Wearable computing workshop, Saturday 27th April.

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Tue Apr 23 20:09:31 UTC 2013

There's a few wearable computing groups in Toronto doing some cool stuff,
and the universities there have some really exciting courses [0]

They had an exhibition while I was there recently with some really cool
stuff [1]

I particularly like the technologies which connect people, like Closeness
[2] - interactive jewellery which glows different colors according to your
distance from the paired device.  But you could go further with this.  In
the zine Designing The Future Of Sex [3], they suggest a bracelet with a
heart rate monitor, gsm modem and actuator to mirror each other's pulse -
which we can't be too far from being able to actually create.  Since the
zine is obviously NSFW, I'll paste an excerpt here:

Obviously, at first a bracelet like this would be distracting.
Eventually, though, given enough time to get used to the stimulus, does
it fall into sensory integration? If so, what does that end up meaning—
can you tell when someone wakes up, what the rhythm of their day is,
just from a heartbeat? How does it cross over into in-person interactions?
There are some studies that have shown that even loud music can apply a
synchronizing effect to the heart’s rhythm—would this do that? What
happens when you have multiple partners, and receive multiple
heartbeats via different actuators

There are some other really interesting ideas in that zine, many of which
we could at least build the first generation of today.

I'm at the Keighley Worth Valley Railway's diesel gala all this weekend,
but I wish you all be best with this workshop and look forward to hearing
about what creations you come up with.

[0]
http://www.ocadu.ca/students/records_registration/course_calendar/1213/postgraduate/certificate_programs/wearable_technology.htm
[1] http://webspace.ocad.ca/~technosapien/
[2] http://webspace.ocad.ca/technosapien/index.php/projects/closeness/
[3] http://anarchotranshumanzine.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/dfos.pdf

--
Regards
Alice

On 23 April 2013 20:46, Andrew Back <andrew at carrierdetect.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This Saturday Bridge Rectifier are hosting a wearable computing
> workshop, that will be based around LilyPad Arduino, at the town hall
> in Hebden Bridge. Further details and registration can be found at:
>
>   http://brwearable.eventbrite.co.uk/
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Andrew Back
> http://carrierdetect.com

Mx Alice Kaerast
Devops supergirl, agile coach, corporate sysadmin, optimisationeer