[Bradford] Wearable computing workshop, Saturday 27th April.

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Tue Apr 23 21:37:28 UTC 2013

I'm not sure there's much I can add to what's on the event website - I only
had time to briefly see Closeness before I had to be elsewhere.  The event
website, including previous year's exhibits, is well worth taking a look at
though.  Some of the pieces are fairly basic examples of flashing LEDs, but
others have some real thought behind them and range from practical, to
thought-provoking.

Lingerie might not be the most practical format for receiving real-time
stock updates (kinda cool though), but helmets with impact sensors and gas
detectors are actually quite useful and scarves with lights pulsing in time
to the wearer's breathing are fascinating.

One idea I'm surprised isn't reproduced by any of the past pieces is a
haptic compass - a dozen motors on a belt which gives the wearer an
indication of which direction is north.
http://www.gradman.com/hapticcompass

Regards
Alice