[Bradford] Microsoft's FAT patent finally struck down in EU due to prior art from Linus Torvalds

Nick Rhodes nick at ngrhodes.co.uk
Sat Dec 7 10:43:21 UTC 2013

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/12/06/german-patent-ruling-threatens-microsofts-windows-phone-earnings-from-android/

"In yet another round of the patent fights going on over smart phones we
find that Microsoft has just been dealt a blow over the revenues it gains
from Android hand sets. Yes, read that again, Microsoft MSFT +0.94% makes
money out of many to most of the Android handsets out there. It’s a
substantial chunk of revenue too. On the grapevine we’ve been told that HTC
pays $5 a handset, Samsung perhaps as much as $10. We don’t know the total
number as Microsoft doesn’t break it out in their accounts but books it in
the same division as the Windows Phone licence revenues. And we’re all
pretty sure that the Android royalties are larger in that division than the
Windows Phone revenues."