[Bradford] Talks for meetings for the group

David Carpenter david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 12:00:16 UTC 2013

I guess my advice would be...

If you wanted to prepare something, look at doing between 5 and 20
mins - short 5 min talks are good way to just see if perhaps people
are interested to learn more in the future, or to just introduce a
short news item. If you are not sure, then coming to a meeting and
seeing it in action may give you a better idea.

In our meetings, some people will sit with laptops or other devices
open and google along with you.

We have projection facilities and ropey audio facilities, if needed.
(as well as tea, coffee, biscuits). The room is usually set out with
tables and chairs for everyone to sit at.

A good way to gauge interest is to post an offer to the group on the
mailing list. Really along of lines, I could talk about x,y,z for
(amount of time). Would you be interested? Of course a bit more detail
would be useful.

Generally people are interested in most things. If you can be bothered
to bring it, people are usually courteous enough to listen, and will
probably have questions to ask. If people are interested in their own
subject, I think that is usually enough for other people to find it
interesting.

There is a wide range of experience in the room. Last time we had a
non linux user, through to highly experienced users. It's a big ask,
but if you can pitch a talk at different levels as you go , you can
probably please all of the people some of the time!

I hope that makes some sense and is useful.