[Bradford] Re-learning coding

Bernard Czenkusz bernie.skipole at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 10:23:43 UTC 2013

Hi there -

As a general purpose language I'd suggest Python - it's easy to learn,
and has a huge library of support modules, for example see
http://docs.python.org/3.2/library/markup.html for its documentation on
parsing xml.

Python can initially be learned without using objects, but as soon as
you do anything serious, then an understanding of objects is necessary -
though they're not particularly difficult.  The language has both simple
constructs - conditional loops etc., as you say, and also advanced
features that can be used as you improve - glance at
http://scipy-lectures.github.io/advanced/advanced_python/

I'm biased though - I'm a total Python fan, been programming in it for a
long time, and it fits my brain.  To be fair to other languages - they
all have their strengths.  I used to go to Bradford LUG, but haven't
been for a while due to moving to Sheffield, but remain lurking here. I
could do a talk on Python in the new year if there's a demand,  either
an intro to the language -  or perhaps on the more advanced topics such
as using objects.

Cheers

     - Bernard Czenkusz