[Bradford] Linux Magazines in Bradford Libraries

Brian A bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Tue Aug 5 11:48:20 UTC 2014

Some time ago I wrote to Bradford Libraries to complain that they didn't
have any Linux magazines in their Zinio eMagazine service. They told me
that this was decided upon by their suppliers. At the time I did contact
their suppliers but I don't think my questions, to them, dug deep enough.
Now, being most annoyed,  that BL's Zinio service now has 5 Apple based
magazines and lots of Microsoft biassed magazines I wrote to the suppliers
again and this was their reply:-

Dear Brian

Many thanks for your email.

Magazine publishers dictate to Zinio whether they want their magazines to
be available on the library platform. We provide the libraries with a
choice of collections of magazines that they can add to their site which
suit their individual budgets. We also provide a list of titles they can
add to their collections on an ad hoc basis.

With regards to the Android magazines only showing back issues, on this
occasion the magazine publisher decided to remove the magazine from the
Zinio library’s platform, it is therefore no longer available.

With regards to Linux it is available to libraries to add from the ad hoc
list we provide – therefore please speak to your library about this.

Kind regards

Jenna

I now intend to contact BL and shame them into stocking at least one Linux
title.

For those who don't know: If you have a Bradford Library card you can get
to read a wide choice of  eMagazines for free via BL's Zinio service.

I'll report back my dealings with BL.