[Bradford] Bradford Libraries: Linux titles on Zinio - Result!

Brian A bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 10:55:48 UTC 2014

Further to my quest to get Bradford Libraries to have Linux titles on Zinio:

When I wrote to Pete Walker about getting some Linux titles, on Bradford
Libraries Zinio, I also mentioned the Raspberry Pi ran on Linux and that
there would be many teachers who would welcome some Linux provision from
that viewpoint.

So, we've only got one magazine title but also a Linux book and a Raspberry
Pi book.

Here's the content of the email I received:

Hi Brian

We are pleased to announce that we now have a subscription to

Linux Format
Linux: The Complete Manual 2nd ed.
Raspberry Pi for Beginners Mag Book

via our Zinio Service.

Hope you enjoy these new additions.

Pete Walker
Development Officer - Digital Services
Bradford Libraries

Tel:  01274 433671

Shipley Library, 2 Wellcroft, Shipley, BD18 3QH

To get access to lots of magazines, for free, via the Bradford Libraries
Zinio Service, you'll need a Library card. To get one of those you will
need go to a Bradford Library with proof of your identity and a recent bill
showing your name and address.

Then create an account  on BOTH of these sites with the same email address
but, preferably, different passwords.

1.  http://gb.zinio.com/
2.  https://www.rbdigital.com/Bradford/service/zinio/landing?

For the smoothest experience siign into (1) first , then (2), and choose
your magazines in (2) - The Bradford Libraries Zinio Web Site.
Once chosen that will take you onto the main Zinio (1) site.

You'll need to install Zinio on your phone/tablet or install it under
'Adobe Air' on your Linux distro.
As regards the latter, I did get Zinio to work on Ubuntu base 12.04, with a
bit of fiddling. Let me know if you have 12.04, and want to install it on
there, and I'll send you my Tomboy note on it, which should ease the
process. However, I have not yet succeeded  on 14.04. I got it to install
but it didn't load anything.
Magazines are also viewable on the main Zinio web site - just click on the
magazine image.

Oh what complication DRM brings !

Happy reading!