[Bradford] Debian will fork to Devuan

Mike mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 23:19:38 UTC 2014

I had hoped to turn to the list for some sensible assessment of where to
find a reliable server image if Deb is breaking down. No such luck if
the distro wars are going to carry on to outlive the Middle East
conflicts. ;-)

On the off-chance this conversation may comprise mostly of mere
badinage, would anybody like to offer any pointers?

On 29/11/14 16:48, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM, David Spencer
> <baildon.research at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Why complicate for the sake
>>> of it?
>>
>> Because Lennart's career.
>
> (I'm not sure I'd describe that in quite those terms, but - in the
> spirit of Christmas Past - I'll let it one ride...)
>
>> And Kay's, Harald's, Tom's, Olav's, Daniel's, Tollef's, Bdale's, (etc etc)
>
> Shurely
Shurely? yet another distro?
everyone must have by now heard about how great binary drivers
> are in the kernel, so these wise old goats^H^H^H^H^Hmen decided to
> prove the point...
>
>> Also, because Enterprise.  (not the one with T'Pol)
>
> At the risk of being fair, if The Enterprise is screaming "Spock save
> us all from Evil Init Scripts" then it's doing so really, really,
> really, really q...u...i...e..t...l...y...
>
> Binary-only should help vendors to screw more cash out of more - or
> less - useful businesses. Then again, most enterprise procurement is
> so rubbish that I'm not sure it'd make much difference...
>
>> I don't see you, me, or Noam Chomsky on that list.  We lose.  Sorry.
>
> Oh contrare!
Gulp! Yet another one! Is it a fork? From a French one?
  Pushing Deb-Ian off the High Hoss is great for everyone -