[Bradford] Which Router

Steve Wilson bradford-lug at swsystem.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 18:15:12 UTC 2014

They're probably ok for the majority of their customers.

I've been using real cisco (not linksys) kit on mine for a few years
now. This started when sky were giving out the little netgear things
with 4 port 100m switches built in.

I think the supplied router was replaced because I found it so unstable
and after replacing it then did custom dynamic IP, IPv6 and opendns
updating etc.

When I switched to Infinity I used the BT supplied equipment for a
couple of days before discovering that there was always an external port
open which couldn't be closed and some naff limitations in the port
forwarding and I think dynamic ip updates were hard coded to certain
providers. The whole lot got replaced with cisco again and normal
service has resumed.

I think these things are like cars, what's suitable for one person may
not be for the next. If it's for giving 5-6 people internet access then
the supplied kit's probably fine.

One thing I did learn is that sky have you contractually bound to use
their equipment, I believe they have ways of knowing if you've replaced
it although I've not investigated, it could be that MAC cloning may hide it.

Steve.