[Bradford] Which Router

Mike mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 10:34:39 UTC 2014

Thanks for the contributions folks. I was somewhat remiss in not giving
fuller details to start with, leaving you all to guess. Normally I would
have put pfsense onto an old box and used my old Draytek modem-only for
the bb connection.

The workshop mains are shared with the householder who is letting me use
his premises, although everything else is self-contained with own
entrance etc. There is no separate meter so no way of measuring, hence
no way of knowing, how much fuel my part is using, just a promise to
keep it as minimal as possible.

The need is to run a PC, a VoIP phone and the workaday laptop will be in
and out frequently (mainly used on site, client visits, etc). The PC
will be switched off when not in use. I'm not sure how wise it is to do
that with a modem or router.

The Asterisk server is from a third party supplier hosted elsewhere, the
accounting software, LedgerSMB is hosted on a "droplet" with Digital
Ocean. That leaves nothing very demanding for the router to cope with
beyond uploading some presentations (before and after visuals) by email
to clients and handling calls.

Past experience makes me chary of installing anything over, for
instance, a BT router for reasons some of you have mentioned. I do like
Draytek kit but it is pricey for the needs as stated. It would leave
lots of ability lying idle.

List subscriber Duncan Hughes has pointed to Mikrotik, which looks very
good and is reasonably priced (thank you Duncan). The software can be
downloaded and tested on a spare box too,
http://www.mikrotik.com/download in case some of you may like to take a
look. No modem in there, though.

Perhaps one of the smaller Mikrotik boxes with the Draytek modem,
perhaps a new Draytek modem/router, as the best looking of the options
available so far.

Thanks guys.

Mike