[Bradford] Apologies and some advice please

Andy Coulson coulson.andy at gmail.com
Sun May 18 09:13:18 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm afraid I can't make Monday’s meeting due to pressures of work. Partly
this is due to my PC giving up the ghost, which is where the advice comes
in...

It is not powering up and I suspect the Power supply or front on/off
switch, but fear it's the motherboard.  Nothing happens when I apply power
except a feint whistling noise. The front button does nothing. When I
switch off at the rear sometimes the fans spin briefly - presumably from
caps discharging, so power is getting into and out of the PSU.  The plug
fuse is also ok.  Any suggestions?  Is it worth me ordering a Power supply?

I need to solve this quickly (ie I reallly don't want to build a machine at
the moment - software installation is fine as it can run it whilst I work
on another machine) so I looked replacements. Amazon are doing Zoostorm
boxes with no OS and no monitor which sounds ideal.  Has anyone had any
experience with these? I will probably install Linux Mint.  Also any
thoughts on AMD vs Intel for compatibility?

Thanks

Andy

Andrew Coulson
email: coulson.andy at gmail.com | tel: 07834 269850