[Bradford] Diaspora* the social medium

David Bolton david at nucleon.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 18:42:03 UTC 2014

Hi Darren, John,

Libertree is most certainly NOT a fork of Diaspora!

I thought I'd already put that right in the write-up ;-)

It is true that one of the two main Libertree Devs, "Pistos" (who lives
in Montreal), was responsible for a forked version of Diaspora - which
ran much better than the original code base.  For a while, several
Diaspora "Podmins" ran the "Pistosfork" code in preference to the main
version - and many users were looking forward to the incorporation of
the extra features that it offered back into the main branch.  However,
the "core" programmers at the Diaspora project seemed to think of
themselves as a business startup rather than a FOSS project, and shut
out all of the improvements.  By the time the core programmers had all
fallen out with each other, Pistos had given up trying to offer help -
and went off to start a project of his own, programmed from scratch.

With the help of a German programmer named "Rekado" - who was then
living in Shanghai (but is now back in Germany) - the Libertree system
started to be developed.  Development is continuing, but at the same
time it is all quite usable - and fun to use  ;-)

David