[Bradford] Uselessd - a replacement for systemd

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 21 21:02:02 UTC 2014

> Not quite sure about the bad in this. If we don't want systemd and the
> distros do, we need a cut down version to replace it. Isn't this what
> it's about?

Not really, sorry, we need something else that reimplements the
systemd APIs -- cgroups, udev, logind -- that other software is
beginning to insist on. Other than that, my system boots fine thanks.
Keeping the APIs is regrettable, but not so regrettable as being
forced to have all the other systemd baggage just to provide a few
specific APIs.

Don't buy the bullshit about sysvinit being 'broken' (it isn't, and it
sure as hell isn't sysvinit that had four CVEs last year) or
'unmaintained' (that's just the godawful Red Hat scripts, and we know
who *should* be maintaining those) or 'everybody agrees' that a
replacement is needed (we don't) or that declarative configuration is
natural and easy and reliable (it isn't) or that faster boot can only
be achieved with socket activation (the only slow part is all the
gtk/fdo shit, and who inflicted that on us?)

"Cut down systemd" sounds like "thinner Eric Pickles" to me.

-D.