[Bradford] [Wylug-discuss] Linux Foundation and Microsoft

Robert Burrell Donkin robertburrelldonkin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 07:02:48 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:16 PM, John Robert Hudson
<j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Microsoft realised a while back that it would lose customers from Azure if it
> did not permit Linux instances on Azure. So it has been making a great deal of
> contributions to the Linux kernel to ensure that it works with Hyper-V.

+1

Big Data is where the Big Money is

Azure would be the blue chip big data platform of choice for most blue
chips if only Hadoop-on-Linux ran well on it.

Contributing to the Linux kernel makes great financial sense for m$,
and - once it goes beyond a few patches - it makes more sense for m$
to engage with and donate to the FOSS foundations involved. In terms
of m$ involve with the big FOSS foundations, it's been around in the
ecosystem for nearly a decade now, and - in my experience - has been a
surprisingly fair and open contributor, much better than Oracle or Sun
(for example). And open source software for the public good is tax
deductable when funnelled through a foundation.

Robert