[Bradford] Monday’s meeting

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 21:03:25 UTC 2015

On 10/11/15 10:04, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Mike Goodman <mike.goodman at zen.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've been tryin g to get HMRC's "Payroll Basic Tools" working on Arch. It's
>> in a tarball which claims to be the Linux version and they reckon it works
>> on Ubuntu.
>
> Still frustrates me that HMRC and most civil servants are clueless
> about licensing. Copyright protects source code in the same way as
> binaries.
>
> Just shipping the source under a suitable closed, viral license would
> allow people to compile on whatever *nix-ish platform they most
> favour...
>
> Robert

Hi Robert,

I totally agree. I rang them to see if they had any idea. They didn't
and admitted as much. Although it does seem they are aware of the
Cabinet Office promise that they must supply appropriate software and
the EU law which tells even the tories they can't hand everything IT to,
in this instance foreign, proprietary system licensors.

I tried pointing out that they must release in a format to which all
have access. I got the impression they knew that but had no idea how to
implement it.

Cheers,

Mike