[Bradford] Wordpress help

Kaerast, Alice alice.kaerast at skybettingandgaming.com
Thu Mar 9 15:53:50 UTC 2017

Hi,

DigitalOcean have some good posts on installing WordPress on a few operating systems:

·         Ubuntu https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-with-lamp-on-ubuntu-16-04

·         CentOS (Fedora will be similar) https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-on-centos-7

You can either follow these using a cloud server from them (or another provider) or on your local machine.  You will learn a lot by doing this, but you may not want to install all these additional services on your local machine.
In which case, you could install Vagrant and then use http://vccw.cc/ Or if you’re comfortable with Docker, then there is a nice image available that you can use instead. https://hub.docker.com/_/wordpress/

You’ll now have a clean WordPress site running, so the next job is to move the data across.  There’s three things you’ll need here:

·         Plugins

·         Themes

·         Content

It’s been a while since I’ve done much with WordPress, but you should find a directory on the server with plugins and themes in.  These can be copied across to the same place on your local copy.

The content (posts and comments) can either be copied by exporting and importing the database (if you have access) or by exporting and importing a file via the Tools area within the WordPress admin screen.

If you need any more detailed help on this let us know where you’re getting stuck, and one of us can give some more detailed help.

I’m not sure if I’m going to make it to the meeting next week due to the train strikes, otherwise I would offer to do this as a demonstration during the meeting.

Regards
Alice