[Bradford] Our meetups, request for comments

John Robert Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Wed Oct 25 21:25:09 UTC 2023

Dear Nick

Thank you. I hope others will respond to your thoughts.

There has been a general dropoff in attendance at all sorts of events since
Covid-19.

One observation was that young people are more likely to be sharing on social
media and that was the motivation for looking in that direction.

For me, when we restarted face-to-face meetings, the online option was for the
benefit of those not ready to restart face-to-face meetings; I did not see it
as a long-term option. It has become long-term by default rather than by
design.

I agree that hybrid meetings require decent equipment but I have only
experienced that at Lancaster University and when on government meetings. All
the other experiences I have had have had limitations. So I do not think it is
practical for us to mount a reasonable hybrid setup.

So I would be in favour of abandoning hybrid meetings and going for a mixture
of face-to-face and online meetings.

I like the idea of formal face-to-face meetings every quarter with a pre-
announced topic partly because I think it might not be practical to get enough
topics to justify alternating face-to-face and online meetings.

There is nothing to stop us having informal meetings in addition to formal
meetings.

I would rather not use Discord for exactly the same reason as we moved from
Jitsi to Calyx - the requirement to sign on which I think is a turn off for
many people. But if there is an alternative FOSS program I would be happy to
try that.

John