[Chester LUG] SATA RAID - Re: Good Morning

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 10 12:00:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 10:29 +0000, Simon Willett wrote:
> I have software raid already in the box this new server will be replacing. I
> presumed that software raid would be slower?!?

That will only matter if disk speed is a bottleneck that
you cannot code around in your server app.

You can google around for some comparisons. I can't give a
personal example as I've only done this with SCSI disks,
and the speed difference wasn't an issue for us.

A quick google for advantages produced:
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/008696.html
http://linux.yyz.us/why-software-raid.html
and a balanced the other way: