[Chester LUG] Need some advice re: Xen

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 21:14:46 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone

Im after a bit of advice on this one. We got a free Dell PowerEdge 2U
server.

So I have about 4 - 6 servers that aren't being used (all have just one or
two windows apps that are used rarely and cpus are usually around 2% usage
and disk space just doesn't change!)

So I was looking at consolidating these servers onto one Dual Xeon 3.2/2GB
ram/PERC SCSI raid setup.

I looked at VMWare Enterprise but the price tag is a little too much. Would
this machine be suitable for a Xen setup via fedora ? These servers all run
one bespoke app that doesnt play nice with the rest. You've heard the story
many times I suspect. All the machines that I want to run are Windows 2000
and upwards.

Whats a reasonable maximum guest os's to place on the machine. Can anyone
recommend a good setup guide for a linux newbie such as myself

Cheers

Stu