[Chester LUG] Eye Candy

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Fri Jan 12 11:55:55 UTC 2007

On Friday 12 January 2007 11:49 am, Fintan Gaughan wrote:

I agree that the instructions at kde-look are lousy.

On giving away CD I would recommend fedora core 6 since this has "Desktop
effects" built in out of the box unlike ubuntu.

 Dave.

> Hello everyone hope you all recovered well from New Year celebrations.
>
> Right now I am setting up my computer so it will show some eye candy.
> I find that people are more interested in Linux when showing what's
> cool and to be honest people upgrade say xp to vista as it shows some
> eye candy. And sadly most people are work are willing to upgrade till
> I showed a video of my desktop. Using a session desktop recorder
> called Istanbul
> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Istanbul-12358.shtml  luckily
> I had vlc at my work desktop on windows xp to show my Linux desktop to
> view as it was a .DAT  format. I was able to show some of the affects
> like below on this link (please note its not my desktop on youtube)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3UPnriIxc
> seeing that and they took away 3 ubunto cds
>
> Does anybody know how to change or know of a different desktop
> recording program so I can convert it to windows media file. As I want
> to email it to people and in turn they may forward others just to show
> what Linux can do. Also so I can upload it to you tube and my blog can
> link to it as you tube only accept QuickTime .MOV, Windows .AVI, or
> .MPG formats.
>

> Also do you know any links like step by step to make desktop look cool
> looking at http://www.kde-look.org  some of the stuff I have
> downloaded does not work instructions are not very good there.
>
> Fintan

Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.