[Chester LUG] VMware question

Tim White tim at hotwood.force9.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 09:40:33 UTC 2007

Hi all

I'm getting a new (to me) lappy at the weekend and I've been thinking about
how to configure it. I'll run Linux as my main OS of course but it would be
convenient to have access to Windows too. Rather than dual-booting, I've been
wondering how VMware Server works.

Where does the guest OS (Windows) actually physically live? Do I need to allow
space in my / partition for it? If I do that, doesn't it mean that if I
install a different host OS (Linux distro) then I would also wipe the guest
OS? So could the guest OS live elsewhere, like in /home or even in its own
partition? All advice gratefully received!

The lappy is a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a Turion 64 2GHz single core CPU and
1GB RAM, 60GB HD. Should have enough power there... Not sure what distro I'll
install, maybe Linux Mint, as the main purpose for the lappy is
multimedia/entertainment with a bit of work stuff too, hence the need for
Win.

Is there a meeting next week? I've missed a couple but should be able to make
it.

Tim

--
"Peace is not simply the absence of conflict, but the existence of justice for
all people." Martin Luther King Jr.