[Chester LUG] Fwd: [lugmaster] [S0107981 at Cumbria.ac.uk: [admin] [Feedback] Press Release - Prostesters to Picket Shareholders at BT PLC AGM]

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Sun Jun 1 12:45:03 UTC 2008

On Saturday 31 May 2008, Michael Crilly wrote:
> I have strange feelings towards this Phorm thing. I don't mind being
> "spied" on, if you can call it that, because I have nothing to hide; just
> as I don't mind CCTV, biometric ID cards, DNA tests and databases - I don't
> break the law and I don't have a criminal record it is therefore only in
> place to assist me, not hinder me.

There are two obvious problems with the "nothing to hide" argument.

Firstly if you have nothing to hide ask yourself the question "why do I close
my curtains in the evening?", presumably you aren't doing anything illegal in
the evening.

Secondly it assumes that these methods of surveillance function without error.
You may not mind having your biometrics on a national database however if
that database through error of function, design or both matches your record
against particular criminal activity, disruption to you life will be more
than minimal.

Given that government IT projects currently have a 70 percent(!!!) failure
rate the second of these problems is not unlikely.

Combine this with legislation that will allow you to be held without charge
for 28 (42) days and mass surveillance seems to be a little less benign.

Also beware arguments along the lines that powers introduced to allow
pervasive surveillance will only be used in serious cases recently Poole
council used the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) to draw up a
list of a mother's movements showing the times and exact routes of school
runs with her children. These included detailed notes such as "female and
three children enter target vehicle and drive off" and "curtains open and all
lights on in premises". The mother said her daughter was having trouble
sleeping because she feared "a man outside watching us". You may ask why were
they using an act designed for serious crime or terrorism, the family had
recently sold their house but were still living in it to qualify for the
local school..

  Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.