[Chester LUG] worried - hacked?

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Thu May 22 10:47:36 UTC 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008, Michael Crilly wrote:
> Well, I once installed an RPM on a deb based system. The reinstallation of
> the OS was the fun part.
>
> On 5/22/08, David Holden <dh at iucr.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Michael Crilly wrote:
> > > Debian/Ubuntu is a deb based system, not an RPM based system as I'm
> > > sure you know. Try synaptic, aptitude and or apt-get (the man pages,
> > > that is)
> >
> > err yeh, that why I was asking..
> >

> > dave.

hmm, to clarify, Paul's worry was about being hacked, for those that don't
know rpm, "rpm -Va" verifies installed packages for owners/groups,
permissions, md5 sums, dependencies, modification times etc, assuming the rpm
system has not also been compromised this can be quite useful in spotting
changes to a system, so I'm wondering does anyone know if apt-get/dpkg etc
has something equivalent.

cheers,

Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.