[Chester LUG] Career change

Michael Crilly movedx at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 25 12:46:55 UTC 2009

I agree with David on this one.

A friend of mine used to work for a comparison website as a
programmer. After I told him I wanted to go into programming, he
advised I applied to the same company as they're looking for junior
programmers at the moment. He went on to add that some of the
programmers that had been there for a year or more, didn't know what a
class property was; didn't understand the four basic principles of OOP
and in some cases, didn't know what OOP was... and some of these
people had Comp. Sci. degrees? Also, the website is ASP.NET based, so
knowing what OOP is is pretty essential to the job. I was head and
shoulders above some of the programmers there with no commercial
experience, no computer quals. and 8 useless GCSEs.

In fact, even some programmers I speak to now who work in the industry
don't understand things like Seperation of Concerns, Dependency
Injection, Aspect Orientated programming, Domain Driven Design, etc.
As far as most of the GOOD programmers I know, these are basic
concepts.

Just goes to show you what you can find in the work place earning
£22k+ by blagging their way by :)

You're an intelligent bloke Paul, so as David said, sell your self and
add some icing on the cake :)

M. T. Crilly
http://www.mcrilly.co.uk/