[Chester LUG] Solaris training manuals

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Sat Feb 19 12:00:11 UTC 2011

On 18/02/11 22:14, Michael Crilly wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Stuart, it sounds as though your phone hasn't be configured for the
> network's MMS server - call them and ask them for MMS settings.
>
> Dave - I am getting an Android phone this weekend. I was looking at the
> Z, but a lot of reviews I've seen don't speak highly of the keyboard
> (they say it's decent, but nothing brilliant) and most of the time they
> spent 90% using the virtual keyboard. This was going to influence my
> decision to get a Desire HD.
>
> Your thoughts/opinions?

The keyboard is OK but I don't use it much because I find "SlideIT"
keyboard so good. However where it's useful is sometimes you need the
screen real estate and not having your software keyboard taking up the
whole screen is useful.

Other than that the reasons I didn't go for the Desire HD were the
following:-

1. although it has a bigger screen the resolution is just the same.

2. Spare batteries are obligatory with any smart phone but I heard the
HD was particular bad for battery.

3. It doesn't have an optical track pad which I find critical for
navigating around clumsy web forms.

On the plus side the HD does seem to have a fast chip and I have noticed
the occasional sluggishness on the Z.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Z. Interestingly when I was looking
around the Bog standard "Desire" was more expensive than the Z sim free.
That's still a very good phone.

I also looked at a few other phones but I'd previously had a HTC hero
and didn't want to give up the pinch zoom which comes with HTC Sense UI

 Cheers,

     Dave.

Dr David Holden. (dh at iucr.org)